The Cost-Share Program is available to assist private landowners with conservation projects in Flathead County. All applications will be reviewed and ranked based on project merit and benefit to the natural resource. Projects that employ multiple conservation practices are encouraged.
Funding and Payment
FCD will fund 75% of the allowable project cost up to a maximum of $5,000 per project. District cost-share funds combined with other funds cannot exceed the total actual cost of a practice. Only practices initiated and completed within the contract time frame will be reimbursed. The landowner is responsible for the up-front project costs. All receipts must be returned to FCD within the allotted time frame. Completed projects must be inspected before the reimbursement can be issued.
- Funding is restricted to one project per person or group per year.
- Program funding is limited to on-the-ground projects; i.e., fees and costs related to project design, permitting, or similar activities cannot be covered.
- Scientific research or studies will not be funded.
- Projects that involve restricted-use herbicides to control weeds must demonstrate that either the applicant has the appropriate license to use the herbicides or they will contract the work to a licensed applicator.
- Projects must be completed within the allotted time frame (July 2017 to May 1, 2018).
1. Fill out and submit the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
2. Enclose a detailed map with the location of each proposed practice clearly shown.
3. Submit completed application materials to:
Flathead Conservation District
133 Interstate Lane
Kalispell, MT 59901
4. We will contact applicants to schedule a required site visit in June 2017. Applicants will be notified of their funding status in early July 2017.
|Applications accepted||Through May 31, 2017|
|Application review, site visit, and ranking||June 2017|
|Contracts released||July 2017|
|Projects implemented||July 2017 – May 1, 2018|
|Date by which all receipts for supplies and labor must be received||May 1, 2018|
|Follow-up site visit||May 2018|
|Board approves payment||June 2018|
The following are some examples of practices that would be considered for funding under this program. Other practices that are not listed may also be considered.
- Bridge/culvert replacement
- Diversion replacement/upgrade
- Riparian buffer (woody plants or herbaceous seeding)
- Streambank and shoreline protection
- Stream channel stabilization
- Filter strips
- Critical area seeding
Wildlife habitat improvements
- Restoration and improvement of native plant communities
- Wetland restoration
- Other habitat improvements (food, water, or wildlife cover)
- Fencing for livestock management
- Forest stand improvement (pre-commercial thinning and pruning) and residue treatment
- Pest management and weed control
- Pipeline for livestock or wildlife
- Spring development for livestock or wildlife
- Trough or tank for livestock or wildlife
- Water gap
- Windbreak/shelterbelt establishment or improvement
Questions about the cost-share program?
Please contact the Flathead Conservation District (406-752-4220).