FCD, often in collaboration with other organizations, currently promotes natural resource conservation education, outreach and restoration through a number of events, programs and partnerships geared towards youth and adults.
The Education Grant Program helps educators in Flathead County purchase equipment and/or supplies to support conservation education activities that focus on soil, water, forestry and/or fisheries.
We offer college scholarships to qualified local high school seniors wishing to pursue degrees in a natural resource field.
Montana Envirothon was established as a competitive, problem-solving, natural resource event for high school students to challenge them about the environment. It is a two-day event that challenges teams of 5 students in 5 natural resource subject areas. Each team will present their solution to a given problem. FCD provides sponsorship of local high schools teams.
Other FCD Education/Outreach Efforts:
- Rolling Rivers Trailer: A mobile teaching unit demonstrating a variety of water lessons including: river energy, riparian areas, non point source pollution, and the effects of development along shorelines. This trailer presentation can be tailored to all ages and is available upon request.
- We are a member of Flathead CORE (Community of Resource Educators), a network of individuals and organizations working together to increase awareness and understanding about the natural, historical and cultural resources of the Flathead Region. Through this group we work to provide practical tools, training and materials for educators in the Flathead Region including teacher workshops and curriculum.
- Sourcebook Curriculum Project: In collaboration with Whitefish Lake Institute and the Flathead CORE Watershed Education Committee the Flathead Watershed Sourcebook: A Guide to an Extraordinary Place and companion website was created as natural resource education tools. As an extension of these efforts, an accompanying educator’s guide was created, containing curriculum intended to help middle school teachers educate their students about their local watershed and pollution issues that impact it. Stay tuned for information on teacher trainings and online curriculum resources.
- Family Forestry Expo: This annual event held by Stoltze Lumber Company brings together many different natural resources groups and agencies. The event teaches 5th graders from the Flathead Valley about forestry management and resources. FCD leads the riparian station every year to provide education on riparian areas and why they are important.
- Weed Management Workshop: This annual event is held in collaboration among FCD, Flathead County Weed Department, Montana Department of Agriculture, MSU Extension, Glacier National Park and Flathead National Forest to teach local community members how to identify different noxious weeds, how to prevent spread, and the best courses of actions to take when attempting elimination.
- Additional Natural Resource Information: Check out our Additional Resources page for more information on local conservation issues and best management practices and resources.
Contact Hailey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on upcoming workshops and educational resources.