Do you need financial assistance to purchase equipment or supplies for an educational program focused on resource conservation?
The Flathead Conservation District is pleased to offer our Education Grant program to all educators, traditional and non-traditional, within Flathead County.
To qualify for this program:
- You must be an educator within Flathead County.
- Your educational program must focus on a resource conservation topic, such as soil, water, forestry, natural history, fisheries, or wildlife.
- Your funding request must be for supplies and/or equipment to support your education program.
This program has a rolling deadline with applications being accepted continuously and approved as merit warrants. Requests can be made for any amount, but funding is limited. Applications will close when funding runs out.
The application process:
- Click here to download the application
- Once your application is submitted, it will be discussed and voted on at the following board meeting. Meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month at 7:00 P.M. Click here to view our calendar.
- For best success, you should plan to attend the board meeting and present your funding request to the District. Please call our office at least one week prior to a meeting to be placed on an agenda (406-752-4220).
- To receive reimbursement, you must complete the educational program and submit the final report to the District by June 1st.
Funding decisions will be made by the Board of Supervisors. Large requests (over $1,000.00) that share costs with partner groups will be given priority over large requests that do not have financial partners. Schools or organization that have not received an FCD education grant before will be given priority over those that have previously received funding.
The reimbursement will be made payable to the school or organization listed on the application. Goods or services procured prior to the grant approval date or over the approved amount are not reimbursable.
The final report form and instructions are available below. Please attach: 1) copies of receipts and/or invoices for all approved expenses, and 2) documentation showing how FCD was credited (e.g., news article, announcement, newsletter, or website post).
Claire Gutschenritter, Helena Flats Elementary School:
“We discovered the Education Grant at a time when Helena Flats was eager to pursue a vision to have an outdoor learning space for our students. The Flathead Conservation District gave us the means to do this. We now have a space for students to develop a relationship with the outside world while learning about it. Whether it is analyzing soil samples or completing a cloud scavenger hunt, students savor the chance to be outside where they feel more alive and can come to appreciate and value the diversity of life. This space is only the beginning of what we hope will perpetually evolve as a dynamic learning environment. The Education Grant was as simple as it was generous. We chose to involve our students in envisioning, writing, and presenting the project. We are very grateful for their participation in our vision.”
Eric Sawtelle, Whitefish High School:
“Funding received from the Flathead Conservation District Education Grant program has been instrumental in the Whitefish High School FREEFLOW Club and GIS class field ecology projects. Funds have been used for a diverse array of GIS mapping projects including – an examination of the effects of topography on snow pack and forest productivity in addition to soil and water quality studies. Garmin GPS units, Trimble Juno data loggers, soil probes and macronutrient test kits have been purchased from FCD education grant funds.”